Vector8 Journals

Monday, May 17, 2004

Language Barrier

Yesterday I had a mental dialogue with Self. I asked a question that I still wasn’t clear about:

EJ: What is the difference between “I am Spirit” and “I am one with Spirit?”

Self: One is Truth the other is based on a false premise, hence, an illusion.

As I pondered on this it dawned on me that the biggest obstacle that gets in the way of man recognising his true nature is language. When you think about the above statement, to be at one with the Spirit means you have to have been separated to unite with Spirit. But the truth is we have never left home.

The paradox of knowing Self is we already know it all then we use language to try to understand what we do know; and it is this ‘wanting to know’ that creates the duality in the first place - the illusion of separation.

Even the great teachers that have been our guides have still fallen under the language spell. They were trying to explain that which is beyond syntax. Take Jesus’ teachings: on the one hand he speaks of the Father’s will:

“For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. “ (John 6: 38)

"I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.” (John 5: 30)

On the other hand Jesus says the following:

“I and my Father are one.” (John 10: 30)
“And he that seeth me seeth him that sent me. (John 12: 45)

There appears to be a contradiction between the quotes above and the ones below. The ones above are suggesting that Jesus is separate but obeying the Father’s will. The ones below suggests that he is the Father/God. What's going on here?

I think it’s a problem of language and interpretation. I’m quoting here from the King James Bible which was translated from one language to another. Is it possible what Jesus was saying got lost in translation? On the other hand Jesus was ‘born’ into a reality that uses language as a communication tool. Language, though a useful tool, is very limited. For example, a tour guide of Australia is not the same as Australia. The word “dog” is not the same as the real dog wagging its tail. Words are mere symbols. Jesus was using a way of communication to express that which language cannot touch. He taught using vivid metaphors, imageries, similes and allegories. The truth lies behind these symbols. However, if one takes these symbols literally one experiences the ‘fall’ i.e. duality/illusion of separation from God.

So back to the truth of being. Jesus is saying he never left home, he is the Father. To explain God he used the term Father and Son which everyone can relate to since everyone is ‘born’ into a family. He is suggesting that God could be seen as the Father and the Father incarnates as the Son. If this is read literally then you’re believing God to be separate and there is such a thing as a human being. When we realise the truth that God is the same in every realm and there is no other reality but God/Spirit, then Spirit is what is appearing. There is no Enocia and God; only God.

Another teacher St Paul writes:

“I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.” (Romans 12: 1)

This is another example of how language can be very deceptive. Again, if the above is understood literally you will believe yourself to be separate from God as we are asked to surrender to God. If you are to surrender to God then you have your own will that you either choose to relinquish or not. Either way you are experiencing duality: God versus man. In truth there is only One.

The Spirit is the only real and it pervades all. It is formless yet it can appear as forms. There is a mistaken belief that when you are formless you become invisible. This is not true. You can be formless and appear to have a body or be without a body. God, the Formless, takes forms to express its formless nature. Here’s an example.

Yesterday I had some household chores. Generally I don’t enjoy doing house work. Since I’d been pondering that there never was a separation, I put this into practise. My task was to clean the kitchen and hoover the whole flat. I did it from a state of inner silence. I had no thought and just let the Stillness that I Am do the work. It was effortless. The interesting thing was the moment I had a thought about what I was doing, I felt physically sick. So I took no thought. I watched the hoover do the steps without any effort and in no time I was finished. I suddenly had a thought that I had done all this effortlessly, I immediately felt nauseous so it was back to stillness.

Unfortunately when you live with someone like my mother who has a ‘form’ consciousness i.e. always thinking and making judgments, I have to improvise. When she returned she cooked us a meal. I could have stayed in the state of stillness and but I played the game. I told her the meal was nice because that’s what she expected to hear, and it’s the polite thing to do. Whether it was nice or not is neither here nor there as Stillness knows nothing of pain of pleasure. I found that even though I was playing the 'human' game I was forever in Stillness.

This morning I was up very early and went for a long walk, Again I took no thought. I as Spirit took the walk and the interesting thing was my posture changed. I felt as if my spine had melted and I was walking very straight. The moment I had a thought, my frame shifted and I felt some pain. I walked for a couple of hours and it was as if I’d only been walking for five minutes. I was neither tired nor energised. I was simply blissful.

The lesson I’ve learned is thinking is an illusion of separation from Spirit, and the result is so painful that it registers as pain on my body. So for me pain is a prod to remember who I am; and the same pain, due to habit, tries to distract me from remembering who I am. I know that I am Spirit, the Formless One. To express my nature is to do so in stillness. God’s language is silence. In silence I know all. When the silence becomes words I am attempting to understand the known through language.

Language is therefore the biggest obstacle man has which has created the duality in the first place. Language can be so enticing that what you think you understand you end up experiencing even if there is no truth in it. This is why many teachers have warned ‘students’ to avoid getting trapped in someone’s teachings.

The easiest way to know God is to be still and know God. In silence, all is known. Now what language can ever teach us that?

In Stillness I Am
Enocia

For other writings see Vector8 writings