Vector8 Journals

Thursday, November 25, 2004

The Hard Way or the Easy Way?


"Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts." (Zechariah 4: 6)
I'm sitting around doing nothing in particular when a genie appears.

"Hi Enocia," he says.

"Who are you?"

"I'm your genie."

"So? What do you want from me?"

"It's not what I want from you, it's what I can do for you."

"What do you mean?"

"What can I do for you? Name it and it's yours. Do you want money, your dream house, a gorgeous mate? Do you want me to fly you to the moon? Ask and it's done."

"Are you sure about this?"

"Of course."

"Hmmm!"

I am deep in thought about what I want.

"Well?" the genie says.

"Well, I'm thinking...am I you or are you me? I'm thinking, are you an extension of me or am I projecting my thoughts to appear as a genie. I'm thinking that if you manifest a house, is it I creating it or the universal intelligence within all life? I'm thinking..."

"Ah, forget it," the genie snaps. "Why don't you have a long think about my offer. I'm off to have a nap in my lamp. Give it a good rub if you ever need my assistance."

What's he getting so het up about? I was only trying to help.

Jokes aside, isn't that what we're doing. We're trying to get in the way of things happening, thinking too much about stuff. Wisdom is very useful when it's to help me see how dream-like appearances are. It is when I get too deeply into analysing stuff that I get in the way of things happening.

I'm about to have a bowl of breakfast cereal for my supper. I try to open a bottle of milk. The lid is tightly shut. I can't open it with my hand. I try a kitchen towel so I can get a better grip, it still won't budge. I say to the lid, "Open, will you?" I leave it alone for a few seconds. I try opening it again and the lid moves effortlessly, as if a genie has opened it for me. I point this out to my mother. She says "There's nothing too small for God to handle. It's a shame we don't ask enough."

I agree with my mother. It seems I can experience life in two ways, the hard way or the easy way. I can try to do things on my own, using my own strength and willpower or I can let Energy do the work as the following story illustrates:

"A Bhakta and a jnani (a follower of the jnana marga) were walking through a forest and became very thirsty. They came to a deep well with water far down and the sides overgrown with bush and briar. There was no way of obtaining water. The jnani overcame the difficulty by expending great psychic force to assume the form of a bird. Then he flew down through the bushes and briars, losing many feathers on the way. On the other hand, the bhakta yearned for the Lord's grace and called fervently on His name. The Lord hearing and responding, the waters rose to the level of the bhakta who was thus able to slake his thirst completely." (From: "Sai Baba, Man of Miracles," by Howard Murphet)
It was my faith in the infinite intelligence of Universal Energy that opened the bottle of milk. I could have tried to figure out mentally, but what's the use? Why not let it open itself?

Have you ever heard kids praying? They don't pray complicated prayers or try to understand how it happens, they just ask and expect results. I pray that way sometimes, by simply thanking Universal Intelligence for doing such and such and it's done.

Last night in my dreams, I was aware of two versions of myself. There was the me analysing stuff in the dream, then I woke up and thought of the many levels of the dream state. Another part of me said all realities are dreams. I went back to sleep and I was aware of a voice reminding me that every scene was a dream.

Now, in this reality, I don't swim. I'm not scared of water or anything like that, I'm just not into swimming. I am an excellent doggie paddler though. I've had lots of dreams where I can swim. In one dream I had last night, I came across water that looked very murky. I thought I could wade across but it was way too deep. A man took such delight telling me that the water was too deep for me and, at that level, I should expect that kind of depth. He said I would never be able to swim across so I should just forget it. I gave up on the idea and watched others swimming across. Then I heard a voice telling me it was only a dream, and I could change the dream to appear how I wanted. I decided to think myself to the other side. No point getting yourself wet if you don't have to.

Since all levels are dreams, and I can consciously change the events with thought, surely I can apply the same principle to this dream reality we call Earth? This is why I can ask the bottle to open and it does. My dream is to become like my idol, Mary Poppins, whose oneness with all enables her to change her reality instantly.

On second thoughts, maybe I should just get that lazy sod of a genie out of his magic lamp. Hey genie, come out, come out wherever you are!

With love,
Enocia

For other writings see Vector8 writings