Vector8 Journals

Monday, November 15, 2004

Lucid Dreaming

"The substance of a dream is held in materialization by the subconscious thought of the dreamer. When that cohesive thought is withdrawn in wakefulness, the dream and its elements dissolve. A man closes his eyes and erects a dream-creation which, on awakening, he effortlessly dematerializes. He follows the divine archetypal pattern. Similarly, when he awakens in cosmic consciousness, he will effortlessly dematerialize the illusions of the cosmic dream." (Autobiography of a Yogi)


I used to understand lucid dreaming as when one is conscious in the dream state that one is dreaming. Thus, you realise that dream reality is a dream. I have had other types of dreaming which gives me another definition of lucid dreaming. Although you might not be fully awake to other dream realities and you believe that particular dream state to be the only reality, you are also very much aware you are the dreamer.

Take last night's dream, for example. I was with this guy I fancied. (I haven't met him in this dream reality). I wanted to spend time with him but he had to work. I tried to persuade him to take time off work and come and have fun with me but he was having none of it. Suddenly, there was an announcement on the tannoy telling him he'd been given time off to have fun. He was amazed at the turn of events. Yet, it never occurred to him I had created that reality. I didn't tell him I had either. In the dream, I was very much aware I was the one dreaming events into place. It's odd because in the dream I still believed that reality to be the only reality.

In another dream I had two days ago, I was flying. I felt myself take off and I became invisible. I was drawn to a particular house, as if someone had invited me. There was a family in there. One, a boy, was very much aware I was present. He pointed at me but his parents couldn't see me and thought he was making it up. I stood in front of the baby but the baby was oblivious of my presence. Here again, I was very much aware I was the dreamer and had dreamt myself flying and made myself invisible.

In another dream, a few days ago, I felt myself being pulled apart. I've had similar dreams before, which I used to interpret as astral projection. I would feel hands tugging and fingers scratching at me, which were at times very painful and scary. This time when I had this dream I wasn't scared at all. I felt people pulling me apart, as if everyone was trying to have their pound of flesh. I heard all of humanity speaking at once. I felt people walking and driving on top of me. They didn't have a clue I was there, nor did anyone seem to care. Then I realised I was experiencing myself as Energy. Before I had the experience, I had been visualising myself as Energy. It would seem this dream was my way of interpreting what it feels like to be Energy.

I experience many ways of dreaming. I see all realities as dreams. What's changed for me recently is that in each dream reality, I am awake to the fact that I am the dreamer. This, for me, is lucid dreaming.

I am the Lucid Dreamer,
Enocia

For other writings see Vector8 writings