Vector8 Journals

Monday, November 15, 2004

War Remembrance

It's been the season for it, remembering war veterans and those who died in the great wars. We are supposed to be so grateful to these war veterans and always remember those who fought and died in the war to free us. The ones remembering want everyone to feel the same way.

Well, I don't particularly care about the war, any war. I don't care to be reminded, thank you very much. How can you achieve permanent peace when every year is the same old, same old? Is it any wonder there are wars around the world? Can you achieve peace when part of you is always recalling a war?

Those who remember the wars argue that we should remember so they don't happen again. In that case, if you're going to remember, why be selective? Why not remember all wars humans have fought in? Every day should be dedicated to a particular war. Alas, there aren't enough days in the year to achieve this!

Call me stupid, but surely the very "freedom" these veterans fought to achieve is being made a mockery of when you remember the war? Surely freedom is ultimately about being mentally free? I believe peace is achieved by letting go of the past and choosing peace.

But hey, it's a free country. Let people have their fun remembering the war. People are free to make themselves miserable rehashing the past. But what I will not tolerate is the imposition of others' dreams on another. So please don't expect me to stop what I 'm doing to observe silence for the dead! I have better things to do with my silence.

War remembrance reminds me of particular television programmes that come on at certain times of the year, every year. You can choose to watch the programme or not. Sometimes you might change the channel to the programme to see what the fuss is about, rather like I'm doing now writing about war remembrance. You can either stay on the channel as long as the programme lasts or you can change channels.

I have devoted enough time to this programme. I'm now switching channels.

Best wishes,
Enocia

For other writings see Vector8 writings