Vector8 Journals

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Living as Awareness

"The literal meaning of transcendental omnipresence refers to a state of being which is the source, the actual fundamental substance, of our physical existence, yet which is at the same time completely independent of our existence. If we were not here, even if the entire universe was not "out there", that state of being would not be affected in the slightest; yet if "It" were to somehow suddenly cease to exist, our universe would just as suddenly cease to exist. The universe would blink-out into nothingness as quickly as turning off a light -- a visual metaphor which strongly parallels the real metaphysical relationship between the the physical world and its transcendental source. The thing is, the real transcendental source will never blink-out. It is the timeless essence of existence itself. It simply is." Transcendental Omnipresence and CosmicLight.com

"There is no life, truth, intelligence, nor substance in matter. All is infinite Mind and its infinite manifestation, for God is All-in-all. Spirit is immortal Truth; matter is mortal error. Spirit is the real and eternal; matter is the unreal and temporal. Spirit is God, and man is His image and likeness. Therefore man is not material; he is spiritual." Science and Health

For a few hours last night I lay awake pondering over the nature of awareness. If there is only one consciousness experiencing life, we must only have one awareness. Yet this awareness seems to have been split into the different senses we experience as humans. I am reminded of what St Paul says about living in parts:

"For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.” (1 Corinthians 13: 9-10)

It would seem that humans experience reality in parts, thus, awareness is experienced in parts as our five senses. Is it true that all humans experience the senses in the same way?

In the book Autobiography of a Yogi, after Yogananda's master, Yukteswar, has died, he returns to give Yogananda an account of life in other realms. This is what he has to say about how different entities experience the senses.

"Astral beings have all the outer sensory organs—ears, eyes, nose, tongue, and skin—but they employ the intuitional sense to experience sensations through any part of the body; they can see through the ear, or nose, or skin. They are able to hear through the eyes or tongue, and can taste through the ears or skin, and so forth." Autobiography of a Yogi

"Causal beings see the difference between their bodies and thoughts to be merely ideas. As a man, closing his eyes, can visualize a dazzling white light or a faint blue haze, so causal beings by thought alone are able to see, hear, feel, taste, and touch; they create anything, or dissolve it, by the power of cosmic mind." Autobiography of a Yogi

I remember when I studied energy healing, some of us had to develop clairsentient abilities in order to sense people's auras and chakras. It was believed that the aura reveals defeciencies in one's energy field which can eventually lead to illnesses or mental dysfunction. The aura is also believed to expand as one has more energy. As we believed this paradigm to be true, we expected to experience people's chakras or auras as congested or depleted. The clairvoyants in the class described people's auras as appearing in different hues. Apart from being able to detect a fine film of light around people, I could never see the colour of people's auras. I could only think what they looked or felt like.

This is one reason why guided meditations don't work for me. The guide would ask students to visualise going down a path, or going down some steps or whatever, and I would think myself there instantly. Isn't one's imagination supposed to help one transcend the limiting ways one experiences reality as human? Why mess around when I'm already there? This is why I do my own thing while I meditate.

After much pondering, I finally fell asleep. In my dream we were surrounded by vicious snakes that attacked people regardless whether they were provoked or not. I kept thinking to myself that there was a power protecting me and I was safe from the snake bites. Then more snakes appeared, bigger and more vicious than the last. While I was petrified, I continued to affirm that I was always protected. I was very relieved when I woke up from that dream.

Why did I have that dream and what did the snakes represent? Aha, the senses! A snake uses its forked tongue to check out its environment. Similarly, humans use their senses in the same way to check out their environment, but the senses are not always reliable. Just because you can see solid objects around you doesn't mean the objects are actually solid. You only need to study quantum physics to realise what I'm talking about.

Why were the snakes attacking us in my dream? I recalled part of an article I wrote recently:
"The senses will try again and again to distract you into believing that the form is the real you. There is always only one way to fight back: all is Energy." What Keeps Us From Having Unlimited Energy?

Wow! My dream was reenacting what I had written. The snakes were the senses trying to distract me, as I believe they do. Hmmm! I need to be very careful about what I believe to be true as I end up creating it.

I believe that the ultimate Reality is Source. In Source, there is only awareness. I believe the senses are distortions of Source awareness. As Source that I am, I don't see, feel, hear, taste or smell, I know. In any case, Source doesn't operate through the senses, Source is independent of human senses, beliefs and thoughts.

How can I use my awareness to experience life? I can't have it both ways. Either I continue to live as a human, experiencing thoughts, beliefs and senses as real, or I surrender to Source and let my knowing guide me. In that case, human senses and thoughts have to be seen for what they are, nothing; for they have no reality in Source. How can senses and thoughts be nothing? Because the senses of touch, taste, smell, hearing, sight and intuition are physical sensations. Source is not physical and never has been physical. Physical beings experience birth and death. Physical beings have a beginning and an end. Source, on the other hand, has no beginning or end. Source is unborn and undying. Source is eternal. Source is existence.

Is it possible to experience life as a non-physical being? Certainly! These days when I do shopping I carry the bags in a non-physical way by knowing that the bag, my body and everything is Universal Energy. I don't feel any weight at all. Instead, I experience a reality of empty space, moving as empty space, carrying empty space. When I move around with no thoughts, I also feel weightless. Yet I am still experiencing life, though not in a physical way.

It would seem that I have a choice how I would like to experience life. I can distort my awareness into parts, manifesting as senses and thoughts; or I can realise that I am Source with awareness and experience life as a non-physical being. I choose Source.

I am Awareness,
Enocia

For other writings see Vector8 writings