Vector8 Journals

Monday, January 31, 2005

Being Formless Self- Collapsing Forms Visualisation

"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters." (Genesis 1: 1-2)
Here's a lovely visualisation that came to mind yesterday, which I'm going to have fun with from time to time.

I am sitting in a chair in the living room. I suddenly notice the walls of the room melting away. Everything in the room has vanished. The house is gone. There is no street, no cars, no neighbours, nothing. The whole world has disappeared. Come to think of it, the whole universe has gone. I'm in complete darkness.

I feel buoyant as if I'm floating in space. Do I still have a body? Nope, my body has disappeared. Now this is really odd. I don't have a body and yet I am aware I exist. How can this be?

Where am I?
I am here. I am here.
Here, where?
Here, everywhere.

I am a formless weightless blob that is all present and very much aware of itself. I am all alone. I am awareness and I am all alone. Wow this is wonderful! I am freedom. I am being. I am bliss. I am eternity. I am.

Suddenly I'm back in the living room sitting on the same chair. Hey, my body is back in form. That's odd. Very odd. Was that a dream? Am I dreaming now? Let me close my eyes for a few seconds. Hello, I am timeless awareness again. OK, let's see what happens when I open my eyes. I'm aware of having a body in time and space and separated from the furniture. I can see houses and cars outside so my neighbours exist. I alternate between states: timeless and time/space. Cool!

Hey, how come it feels like I am the same in both states? In the realm of time and space I am aware that I am Enocia. In the realm of timelessness, I am aware that I am Enocia. Aha, I know! My awareness is nothing more than my perspective of formless Self. My awareness is my own personal take of eternity. So when I seem to be in a reality of forms, I must remember that I am still the one formless Self expressing mySelf. No matter what is going on I am the formless Self.

Let's say I'm in a crowded room. There are two ways I can choose to see myself. I can see myself as separate from other people; this perception of self immediately limits me to an identity of physicality. Or, I can treat my visible form as a perspective of the infinite formless Self. As the formless Self I no longer confined to time and space. As formless Self, there is only me passing myself off as others; there is only one formless Self.

The spiritual path for me is about remembering that at every moment I am the formless Self. I have always and will always be formless Self. I am sometimes distracted by forms and the senses which give me a false sense of self that I am the physical body in time and space; and that I am separate from all. When I am distracted I act like a mortal. This Collapsing Forms Visualisation is a reminder that all exists within formless Self. Take everything away and you are left with formless Self, therefore, formless Self is the only real and my true identity. Whenever there is a temptation to see myself as finite self, I simply collapse forms to nothing and be me - formless Self.

How does this realisation work out in practice?

When you are formless Self you are infinity and eternal. You can't be infinite and finite at the same time; just like you can't feel fear and love at the same time. When I am infinity whatever experience is passing off as finite has no reality. Let's say I suddenly feel pain. That is false identification with the limited form. I can quickly overturn this feeling by collapsing my world into formlessness: by visualising myself as awareness. The pain disappears into the nothing that it is.

I believe this visualisation is a shortcut method of being the void that is formless Self. Just collapse all forms and be the formless, for all forms are nothing but formless Self in disguise.

I am Formless Self.

All my love,
Enocia

For previous articles see Vector8 writings