Vector8 Journals

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

What is Rapport?

"Rapport is the quality of harmony, recognition and mutual acceptance that exists between people when they are at ease with one another and where communication is occurring easily." NLP & Rapport
"I will go before thee, and make the crooked places straight." (Isaiah 45: 2)
A while back I studied Neuro Linguistic Programming or NLP which is a psycho-therapeutic system that gives insight into who you are, why you think the way you do, why you behave the way you do, and how you can be the best you can.

According to NLP research, every one has their unique way of interpreting the world. Some people are very visually orientated, some are kinaesthetic and others are more auditory. Generally, most people are a combination of all three of these internal senses and more. NLP is big on learning how to build rapport with others. Rapport is a way of helping people communicate effectively no matter what people's preferred communication styles are. Someone who has the greatest rapport will get on with a lot more people.

The bottom line is that rapport is about finding common ground with others. We tend to find relationships with loved ones a lot easier than strangers because we haven't taken the time to find the commonality between us. NLP gives people techniques in order that "similarities are emphasised and the differences are minimised." Another word for Rapport is Love but you won't hear people using the word "Love" in a business environment. (smile)

While I found NLP techniques to build and use Rapport useful, I believe there is another way where Rapport is automatic. Rapport already exists between everyone. Rapport is in the silence. Rapport is the Universal Energy "in whom we live and move and have our being." Rapport is what unites all life forms and species. Rapport has always existed and will always exist.

I only need to be aware of Rapport's presence and trust in It to go before me preparing the way. Rapport is not something I need to do, cultivate or think about consciously. Rapport is my omnipresent invisible presence that makes life so much easier because It is ever present. All I need do is have the intention and trust Rapport, who is already there doing what needs to be done in order for this intention to come into fruition.

Rapport makes my body work in harmony, symmetry and in synchrony.

Rapport makes me write what is helpful for me and that others might find useful.

Rapport prepares the way so that when I meet someone new I already have common ground with the individual; and I even use the right words.

Rapport opens the way for new business opportunities.

Rapport makes me act when necessary so that I'm always in the right situation at the right time.

Rapport is what makes dangerous animals appear tame around some people because It makes them peaceful.

Rapport is harmony in all ways.

It is my experience that Rapport is already present. All I need to do is trust.

I am Rapport,
Enocia

For other writings see Vector8 writings