Vector8 Journals

Friday, January 07, 2005

What is the Real Purpose of the Spiritual Path?

"He [Don Juan] had described the energy body to me countless times, saying that it was a conglomerate of energy fields, the mirror image of the conglomerate of energy fields that makes up the physical body when it is seen as energy that flows in the universe. He had said that it was smaller, more compact, and of heavier appearance than the luminous sphere of the physical body.

Don Juan had explained that the body and the energy body were two conglomerates of energy fields compressed together by some strange agglutinizing force. He had emphasized to no end that the force that binds that group of energy fields together was, according to the sorcerers of ancient Mexico, the most mysterious force in the universe. His personal estimation was that it was the pure essence of the entire cosmos, the sum total of everything there is.

Don Juan had said that by means of discipline it is possible for anyone to bring the energy body closer to the physical body. Normally, the distance between the two is enormous. Once the energy body is within a certain range, which varies for each of us individually, anyone, through discipline, can forge it into the exact replica of their physical body - that is to say, a three-dimensional solid being. [...] By the same token, through the same processes of discipline, anyone can forge their three-dimensional, solid physical body to be a perfect replica of their energy body - that is to say, an ethereal charge of energy invisible to the human eye, as all energy is. (The Active Side of Infinity by Carlos Castaneda)

What is my purpose? Did I design this life before incarnating in this body? If I did, to what end?

What is the real purpose of being on a spiritual path? Is it simply about realising that one's identity is not confined to the human experience?

I realise I am Spirit. So what? How is this information useful? It will help you live a more abundant life. So I live a life where everything falls into place. I am happy and wealthy and wise. So what?

I can manipulate energy, so what? I can move mountains, so what? There are people who have powers but without purpose these powers are meaningless. You are simply a human being with extra gadgets.

In the original version of the movie, The Matrix, Neo is given insights into the nature of reality. He realises he has been living in a Matrix, a system that controls how people think and behave. Neo is persuaded to join in the crusade to free humanity from the control of the Matrix. At first, Neo finds the Matrix agents tough opponents. Then he is killed in a fight. Trinity's love helps him resurrect. When Neo "wakes up" he finds he no longer needs to dodge bullets. He is now omnipotent and uses his inner power, the Light within to vanquish his opponents.

Neo's resurrection can be read in two ways. First, from a literal perspective. In this case, Neo's resurrection is nothing special. There are now many documented cases of people who have been pronounced clinically dead and have been resurrected. They return with tales of other realities. Some even find they have developed or awakened latent psychic powers.

The second way Neo's resurrection can be read is that he has died to his old self and been "born-again" in Spirit where he is now awake to his true nature. He no longer needs to do battle in the old way. He brings Light to all. This interpretation would be perfectly reasonable if there were no other Matrix movies. Alas, in Matrix 2 and 3, we go behind the scenes of Neo's real home, Zion, where we find the locals in a battle to protect their Edenic planet. If Neo was a true saviour, would he be involved in another battle? Is the Light not always the Light? It's interesting to note that in Zion, Neo and his friends have no psychic powers.

I believe in the Matrix movies, Neo, Morpheus, Trinity and others are only humans who have mastered the Matrix. They've realised that when one is free from the Matrix, one can achieve feats others think are impossible. But they are still humans who are fearful in another realm. Still, the team in the Matrix mean well; they want to save humanity from the Matrix. Just like there are many teachers and prophets right now who are bent on saving humanity from itself.

Last night, I saw the movie, Big Trouble in Little China. It stars Kurt Russell as an "An All-American trucker [who] gets dragged into a centuries-old mystical battle in Chinatown." It is basically a martial arts spoof which I found rather amusing. There are these men for whom energy is child’s play, who use their powers to kill their opponents, and to control others. This film is an example of how you can be a Master of Energy and yet have no compassion for others. As St Paul puts it:
"And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing." (1 Corinthians 13: 2)
So I can heal myself and others by the power of thought, so what? So I can manifest new realities by realising that Spirit is all there is. So what? What is the point of these realisations?

I believe the real purpose is for me to live as Spirit Man, the real me that is pure Spirit/Energy, the me that is always the same, the me that was never born nor can She ever die.

I have had dreams, for instance, where I have been flying or moving at the speed of thought. Yet this hasn't been possible in my waking reality. I am like Neo free in one Matrix yet fighting to survive in another reality. Surely, real freedom is that you are free wherever you are. The only way I believe this type of freedom can be achieved is when the Energy body is in control. As Don Juan puts it: "through the same processes of discipline, anyone can forge their three-dimensional, solid physical body to be a perfect replica of their energy body." (Active Side of Infinity)

So now it starts to make sense why being on the spiritual path is an absolute necessity. Now it makes sense why I have had the experiences I have had because I, as the Spirit Self, designed my life that way. I didn't design my life so I could learn about love and forgiveness. I designed my life and body so I would have no other choice but to revert to my real Self as Energy. Only then is true freedom achieved.

I believe nothing is more important than being on the spiritual path which gives one freedom. As Don Juan has indicated in the excerpts above, with discipline one can make the Energy counterpart the only body.

I find spiritual practice to be an ongoing discipline of keeping my attention on the Light, and it is a lot of fun. I have written elsewhere thus:
The good news is there are other ways to remain focused on the Light. By doing what you love; by staying in the present; and by being in silence.

When you are doing what you love, there is no space in mind to imagine fearful thoughts.

When your focus is 100% on what you are doing, you're in the present. Your mind doesn't have time or the opportunity to wander and imagine fearful thoughts.

When you are in silence there is no mind to create fearful thoughts.

Where there are no thoughts to create fearful realities, Source is manifested as experiences in Its own image and likeness. Seeing Reality As It Is - In Practice
I believe my real purpose is to make what is hidden be known - to live as Spirit Man. As it is written in the scriptures:

"I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness." (Psalm 17: 15)
What is the real purpose of the spiritual path? Freedom. That, in my opinion, is the only purpose of life.

I am Freedom,
Enocia

For other writings see Vector8 writings