Vector8 Journals

Friday, February 04, 2005

Preconceived Ideas of Spirituality

In Dannion Brinkley's book "Saved by the Light," he is struck by lightning and is pronounced clinically dead. Brinkley shares the experiences he had in another realm where some light beings remind him why he's on earth right now and what part he is here to play. Later, he dies during another operation and returns to the same realm. At the end of the book, Brinkley reflects why he is on the path he is on.

"I know that the path I am on is a unique one. I am frequently told this by people I meet. Once, after speaking to a church group about my life, a woman approached me with a look of puzzlement on her face. She had heard many people speak about God, she said, but never one quite like me.

"I'll bet you drink," she said.
"Yes ma'am," I do.
"And you obviously like women, don't you?"
"Yes ma'am, I do."
"Then I will say this, Mr Brinkley," she said giving me the evil eye. "When God was looking for prophets, he must have been scraping the bottom of the barrel to have found you." (p. 160)
This reminds me of the preconceived ideas people have about spiritual teachers or those who follow the spiritual path. You're meant to do or be such and such. You're expected to be celibate, live a simple lifestyle, don't drink, don't smoke etc etc. Who makes up these rules anyway?

I follow no one but the Guide within. I am my own yardstick. I don't expect anyone else to be like me as no one has walked my path. Nor do I want to be like anyone else. It's OK to admire another but that's as far as I go. As much as I love Mary Poppins, I'm perfectly happy being me. I also trust in the Infinite Self expressing perfectly as all.

I love life as I am experiencing it. The only rule I have about life is to be mySelf.

I am Teacher, Guide, Self,
Enocia