Vector8 Journals

Monday, March 21, 2005

The Art of Unsubscribing

The other day someone asked me to take his name off my mailing list. In other words, he wanted to unsubscribe. I immediately complied.

I pondered over what it means to unsubscribe. Say, you no longer want to receive an email from someone, you could block their email. But that doesn't stop you from receiving the sender's "vibes." I pick up on people's emails telepathically all the time. But to unsubscribe is to take a stand and declare, "I no longer buy into this belief." I believe unsubscribing is definitely a good thing. It is what the spiritual path has been about for me.

Unsubsribing from people's email lists is the least of one's problems. At an unconscious level, one is constantly being inundated with all sorts of beliefs. Have you ever felt a sudden fear and not understood why? You might be picking up on the collective fear of humanity; or it could be a disaster in the news which you're picking up on, even if you haven't watched the news or read any newspapers. Why is it that you could go to bed in perfect health and wake up with your nose all bunged up? You've picked up on the belief about influenza which can be contagious. We are influencing one another all the time through our beliefs.

I recently read Stuart Wilde's Infinite Self: 33 Steps to Reclaiming Your Inner Power. He describes a time when he was in shorts in a climate that was very cold. He was practising a meditation technique where he felt heat all over. He met someone on his walk and the other asked him why he wasn't cold dressed like that. Stuart said he immediately lost the heat and he was freezing. That's what happens when well-meaning people project their concerns on to other people.

For me, spirituality is the practice of being the real Me and unsubscribing from all beliefs. I even unsubscribe from stuff I write. Why? Because I am always expressing relative truth. Absolute truth is too vast for it to be communicated in language. To get access to this Truth one has to go beyond all concepts including words, emotions and thoughts to the inner silence. Imagine if I were to post or email a story with a blank page. I bet I'll receive emails in droves from people wishing to unsubscribe from my mailing list. There's bound to be the odd nutter who will try to analyse what the blank page means. (smile)

In the Silence all is known. But to express that knowing in the human sense I try to conceptualise it into words. During this process of translating the silence into words, much of the meaning is lost because I am only communicating in part what I already know. I guess this is what it means to be human, looking for answers that you already have.

I have found the spiritual path to be paradoxical. On the one hand I am guided to study a particular teaching for a while. Then the same Voice tells me to abandon it. The human personality is always looking for security and when she finds something she will attach herself to it, but I find the real Self to be very ruthless. She only cares about freedom and is always pushing me to let go of ideas and beliefs. To have all, I must unsubscribe from everything.

I believe unsubscribing is very important if one is to be truly free. When one unsubscribes from a belief one is able to be the formless Self which embraces all. In the formless Self we are all one in truth. This oneness is Love.

The first thing you notice when you're practising unsubscribing is you stop feeling fearful. You are always peaceful no matter what which is a sure sign that you've unsubscribed from collective beliefs. As Rudyard Kipling puts it in his poem, "If".

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
[...]Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!" If, Rudyard Kipling
Next, you find you start thinking new thoughts. When you share those ideas with others some people might describe your ideas as original, ingenuous even. This is because you are speaking as your real Self. But you don't get excited about these ideas because you know that you can only express relative truth as a human. You discourage all attempts to make your ideas into a new teaching. The last thing humanity needs is another doctrine or following. You unsubscribe from your ideas and you run for dear life and hide behind your computer screen.

You might get to a point when you find it is no longer necessary to conceptualise ideas. You are content to understand all in the Silence. But then you hear a voice saying "What do you mean you understand? Can someone please explain what she's on about!" This is when it's time to take action, to shut that voice up once and all.

Altogether now....Unsubscribe!

Unsubscribed Love and Light,
Enocia

ps: If you're reading this as an email and you wish to unsubscribe from my mailing list, just say the word and it's done. I promise I won't stay mad at you forever. (grin)