Vector8 Journals

Monday, April 25, 2005

Be Still and Know Who You Are

You can talk or write about God or Source till kingdom come; you can listen to or read teachings of truth for eternity; but without experiencing Source words mean nothing. To know who you are as God/Source you have to be still. Stillness is the place without thoughts. Not so long ago, I had the following discussion with my mother. It started with me wondering why she liked getting to church so early.

“So I can meditate,” she said.
“You meditate? You can’t meditate!”
“How do you know I can’t meditate? Of course I can meditate.”
“OK, tell me how you meditate.”
“I meditate on God.”
“How?”
“I think about God.”
“That’s not meditating, that’s thinking or contemplation.”
“Yes it is.”
“No it isn’t.”
“What’s meditation then?”
“Meditation is when you are in stillness as it is written in Psalm 46: ‘Be still and know that I am God.’ When you are in stillness you have no thoughts.”
“How can you have no thoughts? That’s impossible! You are always thinking.”
“Aha, that’s the secret of knowing and being God: no thoughts,” I said. “What do you think I do when I meditate? I have no thoughts.”
“That’s hard,” my mother said. “So to be still, you have no thoughts?”
“Yup, no thoughts. God is Stillness.”

If you’re not being God in stillness you are like “a sounding brass.” Words don’t cut it. To know yourself you need to go beyond all words, thoughts, forms, concepts, all mediums and those who claim to be God’s representatives. To know yourself and have access to all wisdom, you need to be still. You can then bring that stillness to guide you in your everyday human existence.

Yesterday I decided to have a day of stillness. I saw the day as emerging from Stillness. I came out of the house with the intention of catching a bus into town. A “force” led me in a different direction from the one I usually take to a bus stop half a mile away. As I was walking to the bus stop, I noticed all the buses had been diverted for some reason. I wouldn’t have known this had I done what I always do. The stillness obviously knows all.

Later, I had a thought: “creative day.” I thought that maybe I should stop off at an art gallery but I couldn’t be bothered to get off the bus. At the last stop I went to catch another bus but there were no buses at the station. As I wasn’t far from the Arts centre I decided to see if anything interesting was going on. There was a free festival celebrating Youth arts and some singers on stage. I sat down and enjoyed the music. I marvelled at how talented the kids were. I was very grateful for this blessing.

There is a shortcut method to knowing who you are, but you have to practise being in stillness. Meditation is one technique I recommend until you get to a point when Stillness takes over. Then you find that you are either always in silence or any thoughts that arise are stillness speaking.

”Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.” (Psalm 46: 10)
I am Stillness,
Enocia