Vector8 Journals

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

For My Forever Friends

"Thank you for being a friend
Traveled down the road and back again
your heart is true you're a pal and a confidant

And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see, the biggest gift would be for me
and the card attached would say,
Thank you for being a friend" Golden Girls Comedy Theme
Every day I meet wonderful people who are in essence me. It matters not whether the encounter lasts for a few minutes, an hour or longer, what matters to me is the love we share during that encounter.

Yesterday, while I was waiting for a bus I got chatting to this woman. She asked me where I was headed and what bus I was waiting for and I told her. She was going to the same place. From that bus stop, you could either use the long-winded route or the shorter route. The long-winded route bus arrived first. She persuaded me to take the bus. We sat upstairs and continued our conversation.

She shared with me her love for travelling on the bus since she can travel for free on public transportation. (In the UK "senior citizens" are given free travel-cards). I said I loved travelling on buses. She said she has a son who still lives at home with her and her husband and he is a workaholic. Her son does research on BSE, mad cow disease. This reminded me of an article I wrote recently called Are the Brits Deprived?. I told her I recently read an article called The Abolition of Work and how I expressed my view in a discussion forum that work should be fun. Our conversation moved on to spirituality. She asked me whether I believed in life after death. She said she's had three major operations and has witnessed family members dying of cancer. She couldn't understand why a God would let this happen. We discussed whether a God of Love is responsible for chaos and disharmony.

We spent an hour travelling together and it was such a joy being with her. I shall always treasure our encounter. It's actually her birthday today as I'm writing this, so Happy Birthday Betty!

Later on during the day, I was just about to cross a traffic light when I saw this man with something between his fingers. It didn't look like a cigarette so I asked him what it was.

"It's a cigar," he said.
"It's a bit skinny for a cigar, innit?"
"It's a special type of cigar," he said. He opened a tin of thin cigars. "Do you want one?"
"No thanks, I'm alright."
"I enjoy smoking them. I've done all the right things and I've been miserable so I'm going to do what we are not supposed to do and see what happens."
"Yeah, why not?" I said. "I see you're not paying any attention to that big sign on your cigar case then?" The sign read "Smoking Kills."
"It actually means smoking kills other people," he said.
"That's a good one," I laughed, liking him immensely.
"I'm a taxi driver and fancied taking a walk for a change that's why I'm here."
"OK."
"I'm also a guitarist. I figure after I've finished smoking these I can use the container to store my plectrums."
"That's a good idea," I said. "Well have a lovely walk then."
"I will, and thanks for asking me about the cigar."
"No worries."
"You sure you don't want one?"
"Not today thanks. Maybe another time."

And that was our few minutes conversation as we were crossing the road.

Last week on my travels a man came on the bus. I noticed him because he looked wet from walking in the rain. When we got off the bus I spotted him again at the traffic light. He was about to run across but a car was approaching too fast. I tapped him on the shoulder.

"What are you trying to do, mate, get yourself killed?"

He told me a story of once crossing the road and not waiting for the "green man" which indicates that pedestrian should walk across. A young boy told him he was a very naughty man for not waiting. That made me giggle.

We crossed the road and walked into the station. As we were about to get on the escalator he said, "I don't understand these signs that say 'Mind the escalator!' Why would I want to mind the escalator when I want to get on it?"

I cracked up. The man had a point.

"They also tell us to mind the animals. What animals? I only want to get up the escalator!"
"You're so funny," I said laughing.

We got up the escalator and said goodbye. What a sense of humour! Now who does he remind me of? Aha, me!

To all my forever friends thank you for being yourself and making life meaningful.

I love you all.

Enocia