Vector8 Journals

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

A Kite Can Only Be a Kite

A few days ago I discussed kites with my mother. I asked her when she last flew one but she couldn't remember. I said I love watching kites being flown. The next day when I went home my mother told me she'd heard an advert for "Kite Day" at a park. She'd written down the details in case I was interested.

I went to the Kite Day. I didn't have a kite but I thought it would be fun watching others. There were mostly kids running around trying to get their kites up. As I watched them I reminisced over how much fun I had flying kites as a child.

I was living in Freetown, Sierra Leone at the time. We had this tradition to fly kites around Easter. I didn't know what the symbolism was, whether it was because of the Resurrection of Christ, but it was a great opportunity to fly kites. It took weeks to prepare for the actual day. As we made our own kites, you had to buy the right kite paper, the right sticks and stuff that comes with kite-making. We also had to have strong thread, which we called "twine." The twines were so tough it was difficult to break with your teeth. Once you've bought reams of twine, you had to find the right stick, not too fat and not too thin, to twine the thread. This was a pain-stakingly slow process where you twine the thread in a figure 8 fashion round the stick until it grew fatter and fatter. Of course you had to know when you've had enough twine on the stick.

In the meantime, there was the kite-making process. My brother and cousins were very good kite-makers and even made some to sell. You had to be very careful when putting the kites out to dry as those kite papers were very delicate. We always had spares just in case. You also had to have the right tail for your kite as a tail determines how quickly a kite soars.

Usually, we flew kites on the Easter Bank Holiday Monday which falls during the dry season. We lived near a hill so it was very handy to fly kites. On a few occasions we also went to the beach but it was usually too crowded. As soon as we could we'd be up the hill with our kites accompanied by relatives, neighbours, friends, acquaintances, and strangers. It didn't matter that it was usually hot and you would be staring into the blazing sun.

There is a skill to kite flying; you have to know when to let your kite coast for a while and when to release more twine and let it rise higher. Every time my kite reached another level I would shriek with delight. Inevitably, a competition would ensue over whose kite could fly the highest. Some of those competitions ended up in disaster where someone's kite would get intertwined with another or, even worse, someone's kite would get stuck up a tree. But it was all part of the fun of flying kites.

We would reluctantly return home, some with kites still intact, and others with their kites flapping round a tree or telegraph pole, but filled with memories of another successful kite day that we could relive for days to come.

Back in the park, as I watched kids playing with their kites I thought about how kites can only fly. It doesn't matter whether the kite is nose-diving or the flyer can't get it up, kites are made to fly. If a kite is not flying in actuality, it is still flying in one's imagination. A kite can be nothing but a kite.

I thought of my essence as Spirit. It is my nature to love, be joyful and be free. It is my nature to soar. Beliefs cannot change what I am. There is no power that can prevent me being who I am. I can only be Spirit because it is my nature to be Spirit.

Here's a passage from the scriptures that expresses the inevitability of Being perfectly:

"For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come: Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. " (Romans 8: 38-39)
Nothing can stop me from soaring.

I am Spirit,
Enocia

Related poem: As High as a Kite