Vector8 Journals

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Finding Peace

"The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you." (Luke 17: 20-21)
"I am the LORD; and there is none else." (Isaiah 45: 18)
Everyone is looking for peace of mind. We know it exists and is achievable otherwise we wouldn't want it so much. We believe peace of mind leads to peace in the world. We look for peace in others and in places. How do we find lasting peace? I can only speak from experience.

I first experienced the peace of God "which passeth all understanding" during meditation. Though I knew this lasting peace to be within, I couldn't duplicate it in my every day life. I still had the belief of peace being outside of me. I believed a particular place would give me peace. I even went through a phase when I hated living in London as I didn't think it was a place of peace. I also believed peace could be found around certain people and not with others. When I started living with my mother, I found I couldn't be at peace around her as we were so different. I spent lots of time on my own wanting to be in peace. I believe it is very important to spend time on your own to be at peace, but if you are not at peace when you're with others, you haven't quite got peace.

During my search for the peace that I already am, I came across the concept of "to have peace you must give it away." I was even involved in group meditations for peace and practised my own blessing ritual for peace. Can you imagine how many meditations for peace are carried out each day? Why is there no lasting peace? Because it's not that simple. Giving away peace through blessing or whatever ritual is simply channelling energy to a place or people. If it's someone you're giving peace to, he will feel peaceful for a short while. But if he wants to continue to have this energy he either has to keep asking for more or look to the source so he can have unlimited supply of peace. As for the one giving to receive, well again, why not find the source so you will also have access to unlimited energy?

With further meditation practice, I realised that the peace of God was who I am. I didn't have to give peace to have it as I was/am peace. It no longer mattered what was going on around me as I was peaceful. I could let things be and accept things as they are. Naturally, you have to remain in that consciousness. You have to master inner silence where you can go about your business and be in silence. The moment you start thinking it's back to square one. But at least I knew this peace was always present.

I believe there is a way to have lasting peace without effort. This is realising that only One exists. The One is the only Love, Life, Truth and Power. Since there is only the One, there is no other to oppose the One. When you haven't got anyone to oppose you what is there to fight about? When you have nothing to fight over, you are peaceful.

To put it another way oneness, the One being the One, means there is only you. What you do to others you are doing to yourself as there is only you. Thus, you love others as self not because loving others makes you loving or gives you love, but because it is the only way to be. The other you might appear different but he is still you. The other you might have a face that looks like a screen and a keyboard attached to it, but it is you. Peace is realising that all is One.

Jesus describes Oneness this way:

"When you make the two one, and when you make the inner as the outer and the outer as the inner and the above as the below, and when you make the male and the female into a single one, so that the male will not be male and the female not be female, when you make eyes in the place of an eye, and a hand in the place of a hand, and a foot in the place of a foot, and an image in the place of an image, then shall you enter the Kingdom." (The Gospel of Thomas)
Nations will stop fighting other nations when people realise they are One.

Yesterday while waiting for a bus, a woman joined me at the stop. I smiled at her but she didn't return my smile. She stooped and found a penny. I thought to myself, Damn! Why didn't I find that penny? Oh well, she's me anyway so if she's happy, I am happy. I watched the woman clean the penny with a piece of tissue and kiss it. Then the woman explained to me in broken English that in the Czech Republic where she is from, when you find a penny you kiss it because it's considered good luck. I smiled at her. Then she talked about the British weather which is forever changing. We both laughed. She described the weather back home and her life over there. She said she was a school teacher in the Czech Republic but can't teach in the UK because her English is not very good. She said she has to work as a nanny or child minder. For a few minutes we chatted like old friends. Then our bus arrived and we parted company. I knew she was me in disguise and there was peace between us. Even if we hadn't chatted, there would still be peace. This is a demonstration of oneness.

There is already peace on earth for peace is who we are.

Love and Peace,
Enocia