Vector8 Journals

Friday, June 10, 2005

The Problem with Judging by Appearances

"For the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart." (1 Samuel 16: 7)
"The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever." (Isaiah 40: 8)
When I came out this morning I noticed the sky was overcast. Hmmm! It looks like rain, or does it?

Expecting rain because of an overcast sky is judging by appearances. Who can blame me for arriving at that conclusion? You're so used to linking overcast sky with rain that you can't imagine another possibility. I could even have checked the weather forecast and prepared accordingly; and what I expect is what I would have experienced. Someone has to keep the meteorologists in employment.

What if I look at the clouds but strongly believe it's not going to rain? Believing in one thing while majority around you hold opposing beliefs is going into a battle of wills where only the fittest survives. Beliefs and positive thinking might work on the short-term but they are based on the same level as the clouds. It's like the old cliché about whether the glass is half full (optimism) or half empty (pessimism). Both perspectives are right and wrong. You have to rise above being right and wrong, above beliefs and positive thinking, to the absolute truth. The glass may appear half full or empty but, in Truth, the glass is always full. The Truth of a glass that is ever full is not one perceived by one who judges according to appearances; this Truth is a knowing that the Substance/Essence fills all space.

Back to the overcast sky. To cut a long story short, I remembered the sky was hidden behind the clouds. I imagined myself rising above the clouds until the clouds were miles below me. I knew myself as the radiant blue sky. Then I went about my business. The clouds dissipated and there was radiant sky, at least in my local area.

The clouds represent collective human beliefs of all time. These wisp-like beliefs have no basis in Truth as they are forever changing and "evolving." Truth is like the radiant blue sky that is ever-present and constant. The sky knows nothing of clouds, it is clear, steadfast and true, boundless and infinite.

I believe the spiritual path is about not judging by appearances. As Jesus puts it:

"Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment." (John 7: 24)
In other words, if you're going to judge you have to base it on Truth. When you judge by appearances without solid foundation, you are being tossed about by passing clouds that remain as long as beliefs hold them in place. You will have to wait for the right season to make your move. According to consensus reality, summer is meant to be the time for cloudless skies, unless you're living in the UK. Who wants to live their life based on beliefs? I certainly don't.

Beliefs come and go but Truth stands forever.

I am the Sky,
Enocia

Related article: The Clear View